Common App is a widely-used college application platform that offers students a streamlined way to apply to multiple colleges and universities at once. The platform allows students to fill out one application that can be submitted to hundreds of schools. Many students wonder if they can submit their resume through the Common App platform. In this article, we will explore the question of submitting a resume through the Common App and provide insights, tips, and guidance for students who are thinking about submitting a resume.
Benefits of Submitting a Resume
Submitting a resume through the Common App can be beneficial for students because it provides an opportunity to showcase their achievements, skills, and experiences to college admissions officers. A well-crafted resume can enhance the overall quality of a student’s application by providing context for their academic and personal achievements. It can also demonstrate a student’s potential to contribute to the campus community.
Is Submitting a Resume Required?
While the Common App allows students to submit a resume, it is not a requirement for most colleges and universities. In fact, some schools explicitly state that they do not accept resumes as part of their application process. Students should check with the admissions office at each school they are applying to determine if submitting a resume is recommended or required.
How to Properly Submit a Resume through the Common App Platform
If a student decides to submit a resume through the Common App platform, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind. The platform only accepts PDF files, so students should format their resume as a PDF before submitting it. They should also ensure that the file is under 10 MB in size. Additionally, students should review their resume thoroughly to ensure that it is free of errors, and that it presents their achievements and experiences in an organized and concise manner.
Factors to Consider When Deciding to Submit a Resume
Submitting a resume is not always necessary or recommended, and there are many factors that can influence whether or not it is appropriate to submit one. Some of these factors include:
- The academic competitiveness of the school
- The specific program or major the student is applying for
- Whether the student has significant achievements or experiences that are not adequately represented in other parts of their application
- Whether the student has significant extenuating circumstances that may need to be explained or contextualized
What Type of Resume to Submit
When submitting a resume through the Common App platform, it is important to keep in mind that the document should be a clear and concise summary of the student’s achievements and experiences. It should also be tailored to the specific college or university the student is applying to. Students should highlight their most relevant accomplishments, and provide context for their experiences to help admissions officers understand their skills and potential contributions to the campus community.
Tips for Crafting a Resume that Stands Out to College Admissions Officers
To create a resume that stands out to college admissions officers, students should keep a few key tips in mind:
- Be concise: Limit the resume to one or two pages, and provide only the most relevant details.
- Use active verbs: Use active verbs and action-oriented language to convey your achievements and experiences.
- Organize the content: Organize the content of the resume in a clear and concise manner to make it easy for admissions officers to read and understand.
- Highlight achievements: Focus on achievements and experiences that will set you apart from other applicants and demonstrate your potential to contribute to the campus community.
Implications of Not Submitting a Resume
While not submitting a resume will not automatically hurt a student’s chances of getting into college, it may be a missed opportunity to enhance their application. If a student has significant achievements or experiences that are not adequately represented in other parts of their application, submitting a resume can help admissions officers get a more complete understanding of their potential as a candidate.
- It is not required to submit a resume through the Common App platform for most colleges and universities.
- Submitting a resume can enhance the overall quality of a student’s application by providing context for their academic and personal achievements.
- There are many factors to consider when deciding whether or not to submit a resume.
- Students should craft a tailored, concise, and well-organized resume that highlights their most relevant achievements and experiences.
- While not submitting a resume will not automatically hurt a student’s chances of being accepted, it may be a missed opportunity to showcase their potential as a candidate.
Do all colleges and universities accept resumes through Common App?No, not all schools accept resumes through Common App. Students should check with each school they are applying to determine if submitting a resume is an option.
Can I submit my resume as a Word document through Common App?No, Common App only accepts PDF files for resumes. Students should format their resume as a PDF before submitting it.
Should I submit a resume even if it is not required?It depends on your individual circumstances. If you have significant achievements or experiences that are not adequately represented in other parts of your application, submitting a resume can enhance your candidacy. However, if you do not have any substantial achievements or experiences to highlight, submitting a resume may not add value to your application.