As a job seeker, you’ve probably experienced the frustration of trying to address a cover letter to an unknown person. It can be a daunting task, but with the help of Reddit, you can find the right person to address your cover letter to and stand out from the competition. In this post, we’ll be sharing practical tips and guidelines on how to address a cover letter to an unknown person on Reddit.
Step 1: Why it’s important to address a cover letter to a specific person and not just “To whom it may concern”
Addressing a cover letter to a specific person shows that you have taken the time to research the company and its employees. It also helps the hiring manager feel that you are genuinely interested in the role and the company. When addressing a cover letter, avoid using generic salutations like “To whom it may concern” or “Dear Sir/Madam.” These salutations do not show any effort to personalize the letter or research the company.
Step 2: How to use Reddit to find the right person to address your cover letter to
Reddit can be a powerful tool for job seekers to find the right person to address their cover letter to. Here are some tips:
- Research the company’s employees: Start by researching the company’s employees on LinkedIn, the company website or other online sources. Look for the person who is most likely to be responsible for hiring for the role you’re applying for.
- Identify the appropriate hiring manager: If you can’t find a specific name, try to identify the appropriate hiring manager. You could do this by checking the company website or LinkedIn page, checking industry groups to find common roles or searching via search engines on the company website.
- Use professional Reddit threads: Check out Reddit threads that are related to the company or industry you are applying for. You could also post a question asking for advice on how to address a cover letter to an unknown person. You might get helpful responses from others who have been in a similar situation.
Step 3: Tips on how to start your cover letter
The opening of your cover letter is your chance to make a good first impression. Here are some tips to help you make a strong start:
- Personalize it: Address the letter to the specific person you found in Step 2. This will show that you have done your research and are interested in the company and role.
- Mention a mutual connection: If you have a mutual connection at the company, mention them in the opening sentence. This could help you stand out from other applicants.
- Share your excitement: Let the hiring manager know why you’re excited about the role and what you can bring to the company.
Step 4: Strategies for addressing a cover letter when you really can’t find any names or contacts
Despite your best efforts, there may be situations where you can’t find any specific names or contacts. In these cases, here are some strategies you can use:
- Use generic titles: Salutations like “Dear Hiring Manager” or “Dear Recruiter” are better than using “To whom it may concern.” They show you’ve considered who may be reviewing your application and taking it seriously.
- Stick to professional language: Avoid informal language like “Hey,” even when addressing your letter to a generic title.
- Use your network: If you have a connection to the company or industry, reach out to see if they can provide you with the name of the hiring manager, or any additional contacts that might be relevant.
Step 5: Other tips on how to make your cover letter as engaging and impactful as possible
Once you’ve addressed the cover letter to the right person, it’s important to make it as engaging and impactful as possible. Here are some tips:
- Highlight your achievements: Use examples in your cover letter or refer to specific projects you’ve worked on that showcase your achievements or relate directly to the role you’re applying for.
- Tell a story: Use your cover letter to highlight your passion and how it relates to the role.
- Be concise: Keep the cover letter short and sweet, focusing on the most relevant information, and adjust it for specific positions.
Addressing a cover letter to an unknown person on Reddit can be an overwhelming and frustrating experience for job seekers. However, Reddit can also be a valuable tool to help you find the right person and stand out from the competition. By using these tips and guidelines, you can make your cover letter more impactful and engaging, increasing your chances of landing an interview.
1. What if I can’t find any information on the company’s employees or hiring managers?
In this case, you may have to use a generic salutation like “Dear Hiring Manager” or “Dear Recruiter.” However, make sure to do your research on the company and industry to show you have an understanding and general interest in the role.
2. Should I mention the person’s name throughout the cover letter?
While it’s important to address the opening using a specific name, overuse of the name can often sound contrived or cluttered. You may mention the name once or twice, such as in an introduction, but focus instead on showcasing your fit.
3. Can I still apply for a job if I can’t find the right person to address my cover letter to?
Yes, don’t let a small roadblock like not being able to address a cover letter to a specific person stop you from applying for your dream job. While personalized cover letters can make a better impression, submitting a strong resume and cover letter tailored to the role is always better than not applying at all.