If you’re a job seeker, you’re probably wondering whether you should print a resume double-sided or not. To help you make an informed choice, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide that discusses the pros and cons of double-sided printing.
What is Double-Sided Printing?
Double-sided printing is a process where text or images are printed on both sides of a sheet of paper. It’s also known as duplex printing.
Pros and Cons of Printing a Resume Double-Sided
- Save paper: By printing on both sides, you can reduce the amount of paper you use.
- Cost savings: You’ll save money on paper and printing costs.
- Greater readability: Double-sided printing is easier on the eyes because it allows you to use a smaller font size and still maintain readability.
- Professional: Double-sided printing shows that you’re eco-friendly and considerate of resources.
- Quality issues: The ink may bleed through the paper making it harder to read, or making your resume look unprofessional.
- Technical issues: Not all printers are created equal; some may not print double-sided or may not do so properly causing paper jams.
- Compatibility issues: Some employers may prefer single-sided resumes.
- Appearance: Double-sided resumes can appear cluttered and messy.
Technical Aspects of Printing a Resume Double-Sided
If you decide to print your resume double-sided, there are some technical aspects you should consider. The quality of paper you’re using may affect how the ink absorbs or whether it bleeds through.
Double-sided printing can also reduce the thickness of paper, which may make it appear flimsy, so you may want to compensate by using a higher quality or thicker paper stock.
Consider the Audience
Your decision to print your resume double-sided or not should also consider the audience or company you’re submitting your resume to. A corporate job opening may require a traditional single-sided resume whereas a creative industry job may appreciate the eco-friendly choice of double-sided printing.
- Double-sided printing can help save paper and money but may also pose technical challenges or affect the appearance of the paper.
- Consider who the audience is before making a decision on how to print your resume.
- If you do choose double-sided printing, make sure the technical aspects of ink absorption and paper weight are considered.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will printing double-sided save paper?
A: Yes, printing double-sided will halve the number of pages you need to print, saving paper.
Q: Is it professional to print a resume double-sided?
A: It depends on the company or industry you’re submitting your resume to. In general, double-sided printing is considered eco-friendly and hence professional, however, some employers may prefer single-sided resumes.
Q: What are the technical aspects of double-sided Printing?
A: Consider the technical aspects of the paper, ink absorption and paper weight before you opt for double-sided printing. Not all printers are capable of double-sided printing or may cause paper jams, run out of ink or bleed through to the other side.